Pages

Tuesday, November 02, 2010

JEEPNEY


JUST CAME BACK FROM A FRIEND'S WAKE.
WE RODE ON A MULTI-CAB TO AND FRO THE VENUE.
THE MULTICAB EMITS AN UNPLEASANT SMELL, MAYBE BECAUSE THE WINDOWS HAVE THAT PLASTIC COVERING WHICH DOESNT ALLOW THE "FRESH" AIR TO FREELY GO IN. AND THE SMOKE FROM THE EXHAUST PIPE JUST TENDS TO GET INSIDE.

WHILE AT THE WAKE, I TOLD KUYA JO THAT THE CEILING OF TERRACE LOOKS GOOD.HE SAID IT LOOKS LIKE THE CEILING OF THE MAGELLAN'S CROSS IN CEBU. KULANG NA LANG NG PAINTED STATIONS OF THE CROSS. THEN, I REMEMBER SEEING NAMES OF PEOPLE PAINTED ON THE CEILINGS OF JEEPNEYS.


JEEPNEY OR "JEEP" IS THE MOST COMMON PINOY PUBLIC UTILITY VEHICLE, NEXT TO BUS AND TRICYCLE. 



I REMEMBER, WHEN I WAS A CHILD,
I USED TO SEE PAINTED ON THE CEILINGS OF JEEPNEYS, THE NAMES OF FAMILY MEMBERS, PARTICULARY THE NAMES OF THE DAUGHTERS OR SONS OF THE JEEPNEY OWNER.

I ALSO REMEMBER, THE CHEAPEST FARE THEN, DURING MY CHILDHOOD YEARS, 
IS WORTH A PESO AND FIFTY CENTS.
THERE ARE JEEPS WITH STRINGS ON THE CEILING, WHICH YOU CAN JUST PULL TO SIGNAL DRIVER TO STOP (IT TRIGGERS A RINGER LOCATED AT THE FRONT SEAT). THERE ARE THOSE WITH NO STRING, AND YOU NEEDED TO SAY "PARA" (IN CEBU CITY I THINK IT'S "LUGAR") OR KNOCK ON THE JEEPNEY CEILING TO STOP.


I GET MAD WHEN THE DRIVER DOESNT HEAR ME AFTER SEVERAL TIMES I SAY "PARA" AND EVEN I KNOCKED ON THE CEILING, THAT I JUST STOMP MY HEAVY FEET ON THE METAL FLOORING OF THE VEHICLE.
THAT WAY, I FIND REVENGE BY MAKING THE DRIVER MAD, TOO. HAHA.
KASE, PAG "BAYAD" NARIRINIG AGAD, AND IN AN INSTANT, YOU'LL SEE HIS HAND REACHING OUT TO THE MONEY IN YOUR HAND, KAHIT NASAN KA PA, WALANG TINGINAN, ALAM NYA KUNG NASAN KA. HAHA.



WHEN IT RAINS, PASSENGERS WOULD AUTOMATICALLY HELP ONE ANOTHER IN BRINGING DOWN THE COVER OF THE WINDOW (FOR JEEPS WITH NO WINDOW FRAME). AND THERE ARE ALSO THOSE PEOPLE WHO WOULD CHOOSE TO IGNORE THE RAIN AND JUST LET THEMSELVES GET WET.

WHEN IT RAINS, DO NOT GET THE FIRST SEATS BEHIND THE DRIVER, BECAUSE EVEN WHEN THE ROAD GETS A LITTLE WATERY, YOU MIGHT GET A FREE WATER SPLASH CAUSED BY A FAST APPROACHING "SOUTH BOUND" VEHICLE. I EXPERIENCED IT ONCE. NOT ONLY HAD I GOTTEN A FREE SHOWER, I ALSO GOTTEN A FREE DRINK. COZ I WENT LIKE "WAAAAAAAHHHHH!" CHING LANG.

EVERYONE ALSO HATES IT WHEN THE DRIVER WOULD INSIST THAT 9 PASSENGERS CAN OCCUPY WHAT REALLY IS AN 8 SEATER JEEP. ANG THE DRIVER WOULD "NICELY" SUGGEST "O, IPIT ITLOG MUNA KAYO DYAN". ANG COOL.


ONE GOOD THING NOWADAYS... THE TWO FIRST SEATS (FROM THE ENTRY & EXIT), WHICH SHOULD BE RESERVED FOR THE PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES AND SENIOR CITIZENS. ASTIG.


THE NO SMOKING SIGNS HAVE ALWAYS BEEN PRESENT; THAT KNITTED "GOD BLESS OUR TRIP" NEVER FAILS TO GREET ME ALSO; THE "BARYA LANG PO SA UMAGA" IS LIKE POSTED EVERYWHERE EVEN IN HOSPITAL WALLS. WHOAH! JEEPS THAT ARE MORE ASTIG AND VINTAGE ARE THOSE WHICH HAVE HORSES OR TRUMPETS OR EAGLE ON THE TRUNK.


NOW PLAYING ► ANGELS by ROBBIE WILLIAMS (ACOUSTIC VERSION)


Jeepney Photo Ref: http://www.alvinjimenez.info/2009/10/22/email-marketing-in-the-philippines/

No comments: